Smoking and the Alimentary Tract: A Review
Because of inherent and inseparable variables, studies of the effect of smoking on gastric secretion and motility have proved inconclusive. The only firm conclusions to be drawn from the work reviewed are that the prognosis of both gastric and duodenal ulcers is made worse by regular smoking and that the healing and response of gastric ulcers to medical treatment is impaired. The mechanisms through which these effects are produced are unknown. It is not even certain that nicotine is the chief noxious agent in tobacco. Careful statistical and epidemiological studies have yielded such facts as exist and this approach seems the most promising one for future studies.
Full text is available as a scanned copy of the original print version. Get a printable copy (PDF file) of the complete article (598K), or click on a page image below to browse page by page. Links to PubMed are also available for Selected References.
These references are in PubMed. This may not be the complete list of references from this article.
- COOPER P, HARROWER HW, STEIN HL, MOORE GF. The effect of cigarette smoking on intragastric balloon pressure and temperature of patients with duodenal ulcer. Gastroenterology. 1958 Aug;35(2):176–182. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- DOLL R, JONES FA, PYGOTT F. Effect of smoking on the production and maintenance of gastric and duodenal ulcers. Lancet. 1958 Mar 29;1(7022):657–662. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- EDWARDS F, McKEOWN T, WHITFIELD AG. Association between smoking and disease in men over sixty. Lancet. 1959 Jan 24;1(7065):196–200. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- HODGES HH, GILMOUR MT. The effect of tobacco smoking upon gastric acidity. N C Med J. 1950 May;11(5):249–250. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Jamieson RA, Illingworth CF, Scott LD. Tobacco and Ulcer Dyspepsia. Br Med J. 1946 Aug 31;2(4469):287–288.[PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- LEVIN ML, GOLDSTEIN H, GERHARDT PR. Cancer and tobacco smoking; a preliminary report. J Am Med Assoc. 1950 May 27;143(4):336–338. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- MILLS CA, PORTER MM. Tobacco smoking habits and cancer of the mouth and respiratory system. Cancer Res. 1950 Sep;10(9):539–542. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- MITTY WF, Jr, ROUSSELOT LM, DELANY GJ. Smoking and its relation to nutritional status of patients following gastrectomy; a five-year follow up survey of 171 patients. Ann Surg. 1959 Jul;150(1):76–84.[PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- PIPER DW, RAINE JM. Effect of smoking on gastric secretion. Lancet. 1959 Apr 4;1(7075):696–698. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- STEIGMANN F, DOLEHIDE RH, KAMINSKI L. Effects of smoking tobacco on gastric acidity and motility of hospital controls and patients with peptic ulcer. Am J Gastroenterol. 1954 Nov;22(5):399–409. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- TOON RW, CROSS FS, WANGENSTEEN OH. Effect of inhaled cigarette smoke on production of peptic ulcer in the dog. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 1951 Aug;77(4):866–869. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]