|Estimated Enrollment Submitted:||October/24/2006|
|Last Update Submitted:||December/2/2017|
|Last Update Posted:||December/27/2017|
|Actual Study Start Date:||June/30/2005|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date:||April/30/2011|
|Estimated Study Completion Date:||April/30/2011|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Experimental: Natural Killer Cell Kir Epitope||Biological: Natural Killer Cell Kir Epitope|
Rabbit thymoglobulin will be given intravenously at a dose of 2.5 mg/kg on days -5,-4, -3, and -2. The first dose of thymoglobulin will be given over six (6) hours and subsequent doses over four (4) or more hours as tolerated or, per institutional anti-thymocyte globulin (ATG) administration guidelines.
|Sexes Eligible for Study:||All|
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers:||Yes|
- Primary acute myeloid leukemia (AML)
- First complete remission (CR) with high risk features as defined by: failure to achieve remission by day 21 after induction chemotherapy, or the presence of chromosomal abnormalities involving any of the following: -5/de (5q), -7/del(7q), inversion 3q, abnormalities of 11q23, 20q, 21q, del(9q), translocation 6;9, translocation 9;22, abnormalities of 17p, or complex karyotype with > or = 3 abnormalities. Complete remission is defined as < 5% blasts in the marrow.
- Second CR or subsequent in remission
- Refractory or relapsed disease with absolute peripheral blood blasts < 2000/mcL
- Secondary AML in remission or relapse
- Chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML) in accelerated or blast phase
- Accelerated phase is defined by any one of the following:
- Blasts 10% to 19% of peripheral blood white cells or bone marrow cells
- Peripheral blood basophils at least 20%
- Persistent thrombocytopenia (<100 x 10^9/L) unrelated to therapy, or persistent thrombocytosis (>1000 x 10^9/L) unresponsive to therapy
- Increasing spleen size and increasing white blood cell (WBC) count unresponsive to therapy
- Cytogenetic evidence of clonal evolution (i.e., the appearance of an additional genetic abnormality that was not present in the initial specimen at the time of diagnosis of chronic phase CML)
- Resistance to tyrosine kinase inhibitors (imatinib or other) defined as no complete cytogenetic response even if the above criteria are not met.
- Blast phase is defined by either of the following:
- Blasts 20% or more of peripheral blood white cells or bone marrow cells
- Extramedullary blast proliferation
- Large foci or clusters of blasts in bone marrow biopsy
- Primary myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) with an IPSS score >1
- Secondary MDS with any international prostate symptom score (IPSS)
- Age ≤60 years
- Co-Morbidity score 0-2
- At least 35 days following start of preceding leukemia induction therapy
- Patients for whom a suitable HLA genotypically identical sibling or fully matched HLA-A, -B, -C, and -DRB1 unrelated donor is available.
- Patients greater than 60 years of age.
- Hypersensitivity to thymoglobulin.
- Symptomatic uncontrolled coronary artery disease or congestive heart failure.
- Hepatic disease with transaminases or bilirubin > 2 times upper limit of normal (ULN) except for isolated hyperbilirubinemia attributed to Gilbert's syndrome.
- Severe hypoxemia with room air - Partial Pressure of Oxygen in Arterial Blood - (PAO2) < 70, supplemental oxygen-dependence, or carbon monoxide diffusing capacity (DLCO) < 50% predicted.
- Impaired renal function with creatinine > 2 times upper limit of normal (ULN) or creatinine clearance measured by 24-hour urine collection < 50% normal for age, gender, and weight.
- Patients with central nervous system (CNS) involvement with disease refractory to intrathecal chemotherapy.
- Patients who are human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) seropositive.
- Patients who are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- Patients with active infections that are untreated, or failing to respond to appropriate therapy.
- Karnofsky performance status < 50%.
- Prior allogeneic or autologous bone marrow, peripheral blood stem cell, or umbilical cord blood transplant.
- Inability to provide informed consent.
- Co-morbidity score >2
- Less than 35 days from start of previous leukemia induction therapy